This church predates the occupation of
by the British. Though it was originally built in the 16th century, it took its present shape only in the mid-1800s. Bangalore
Today, this institution is renowned in
Bangalore and elsewhere and it has become a landmark of . Known as the St. Mary’s Basilica in Shivajinagar, this Catholic edifice draws thousands of devotees every day and the St. Mary’s feast held every September is a big draw. Bangalore
It is the only church in Karnataka to be elevated to the status of a minor bacilica.
In south Karnataka, Christianity first made its presence when Christian priests entered Srirangapatnam in 1648. The first church to be built in
was the Drummers' Chapel, in Kalasipalya in 1724-25. Bangalore
After Tipu ascended the throne of
Mysore, Christian missionaries were forced to flee and it was only after his death that the missionaries reappeared. In 1799, when the British defeated and killed Tipu Sultan, a French priest, Abbe du Bois, arrived in Mysore to preach Christianity. Bangalore
He went around the small towns of Somanahalli, Kamanahalli, Begur, Gunjam, Palahalli, Doranahalli, Garenahalli and Shettihalli and preached Christianity. He was one of the first persons to introduce vaccination in
and he also wrote a book “Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies”. India
The mass vestments worn by Du Bois are still preserved in the church at Palahalli near Srirangapatna. He built a chapel with a thatched roof in 1803 at Bili Akki Palli or colloquially, Blackpally. and conducted mass there.
The chapel was initially called Kaanike Mathe Devalaya (
of the Presentation). This is the chapel where St. Mary’s Bascilica stands. Church of Our Lady
When the British built the Cantonment in 1809, mass was regularly held by Abbe du Bois which was attended to by both European and Indian Catholics. In 1813, he modified and rebuilt the chapel with help from the British and renamed it as the Church of the Purification of Our Lady, Blackpalli.
The engraving of the year “1813” could be seen till recently in the front nave of the old church where the “miraculous statue” is housed.
It was L. E. Kleiner who constructed the basilica in its present Gothic form and it was consecrated on September 8, 1882 by Bishop Jean-Yves-Marie Coadou, the Vicar Apostle of
The total amount spent on the construction of the new church. including the pulpit and the statues, was Rs. 29,659.
The church later became a parish and has since overseen the construction of other churches in
Bangalore, including St. Francis Xavier's Cathedral (1851), St. Joseph's Church (1867) and , Ashoknagar (1867). Sacred Heart Church
The church was elevated to the status of a minor basilica in 1973 through an edict issued by Pope Paul the sixth. It was the sixth church in
to be elevated as a bascilica. Today, the name Blackpalli has disappeared and the area is now known as Shivajinagar. India
St Patrick's Church on
Brigade Road is the second oldest church in the city the foundation for which was laid in July 1841. Father Chevalier was responsible for building the church, which was later consecrated as a cathedral in 1899.
It was renovated during 1894-98 and on November 12, 1899 the church was consecrated as St. Patrick Cathedral. It has a beautiful arched entrance flanked by twin columns. The interior of the church has twelve pillars, symbolising the twelve Apostles
There are several other churches in
with their own history. Bangalore
at the end of Trinity Church MG Road was built for the Anglicans and the St. Marks Cathedral on the same road at the other end is yet another landmark. St. Patrick’s Church was
originally built for Irish Catholic soldiers and St. Andrew’s, on the
Cubbon Road for the Scottish soldiers.
The Catholic Cathedral is St. Xaver’s, a large granite
building. The London Mission constructed the
which is near the BBMP office. Hudson Memorial Church
When the British set up Bangalore Cantonment at Ulsoor in 1809, they wanted a big Anglican Church to meet the needs of the British officials. This led to the construction of the St. Mark’s Church in 1808 and it opened for worship in 1812. It was consecrated by Bishop Turner of
in 1816. Calcutta
W.W. Lutyens, the chaplain of the St. Mark’s Church, built the
in 1848 at the other end of the Parade Ground ridge of the Cantonment ( Holy Trinity Church MG Road).
This church was built in the style of English Renaissance and it was designed by Major Pears. This is considered to be the largest military church on south
which can accommodate 700 people at a time. India
Some of the other old churches in Bangalore include the St. Luke's (Fort, 1830), the
St. Joseph's (Briand Square, 1857), the St. Patrick's (Brigade Road, 1844), the Sacred Heart's (Richmond Road, 1874).
, a Protestant institution, on St. Andrews Church Cubbon Road was built in 1967. This is the only Scottish kirk in . The stained glass windows depict Jesus and his eight apostles. The walls of the church are adorned with polished brass plaques and a pipe organ installed in 1881 is still there. Bangalore
The East Parade church on
Dickenson Road was built in 1862, Wesley Church (Promenade Road, 1896) and Hudson Memorial in 1904.
This church has become a pilgrimage centre. It was first conceived by Paul Kinatukara in the sixties and the foundation was laid on April 1970 by Dr. Lourduswamy, the then Archbishop of Bangalore. The church opened to devotees in 1979, to honour the divine Infant Jesus of Prague.
This church has a fan shaped hall which can accommodate about 2500 people. It has 9 faces and openings all round the church. People seated anywhere in the interior feel that the altar is facing them. The replica of the nativity scene in the nativity
is the main mural here. church of Jerusalem